Home of the Central Indiana Equestrian Team
The Central Indiana Equestrian Team is an Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA), Hunt Seat Equitation, recognized team in Zone 5 and is now located at Kolowa Equestrian in Atlanta, IN. We welcome both middle school and high school riders of all levels to join our team. See below for Important Team dates coming up!
Team Tryouts on Friday June 5th at 5:00 and then on Monday June 8th at 6:00
I have changed the season from July 1st – February 28th. Also, 4th and 5th graders are now considered part of the team and can show and gain points like the other riders. They can qualify for Semifinals and go all the way to Finals which is very cool. They just can not be the “point rider” for the team. Membership is now open. I want to get this all taken care of so we can begin practices in July as I think we will begin showing in August.
So in an effort to move this along quickly, I will NOT be requiring members that have been with the team the past 2 years to Tryout this year. If you want to join the team again, you will simply just fill out your rider information form and turn in to me. We will be hosting 2 Team Tryouts on Friday June 5th at 5:00 and then on Monday June 8th at 6:00. I would still like riders that do not need to tryout to still make an appearance and support your newer team members!
If you have a conflict due to the Corona Virus and wish to schedule a private tryout please let me know, or if you want to join the team, but still are wanting to self quarantine please let me know so we can make special arrangements for you.
Cost and Signup Information
- Cost to join the Central Indiana Equestrian Team will be $1350.00 for the 2021/2022 season. This fee will cover 2 practices each month throughout the entire season August 1st – February 28th, or 16 practices total. I will post a practice schedule and you will be required to sign up for 2 practices of your choice throughout the duration of the season. This cost will also cover the trainer fee at all 5 pre-season shows and the team sign up costs!! Payment for the season of $1350.00 will be due by the start of the season, August 1, or you may also choose to split it into 2 separate payments. Payment number 1 of $675.00 will be due by August 1st and Payment 2 of $675.00 being due by November 1. Payment must be made before a participant will be eligible to begin practicing with the team.
- This cost does not include any trainer travel expenses, horse show entry fees, or trainer fee at semifinals, zone finals or national finals. Please be prepared to go all the way to National Finals!!
- Trainer Fee at Semifinals, Zones, or Nationals is $75.00 per day
- Members will also be responsible for the initial $60 signup fee, with the IEA, in order to be considered an IEA member or junior member of the Central Indiana Equestrian Team. Members will be receiving a free fan membership with the USEF with the membership to the IEA.
- Grades 4-12 will be eligible to compete with the team. However, in order to compete with the team, the rider must have at least one year riding experience or be able to confidently Walk, Trot, and Canter comfortably on a foreign horse. Eligibility for riders to compete will be at the sole discretion of the teams Coach. New riders in any grade are encouraged to join the team as “junior members” in order to gain the knowledge required to compete in following seasons. Junior members will be included in all team meetings, competitions, and learning experiences.
- In order to compete: Participants must have access to field boots, tan hunter type breeches, a hunter type show shirt, a hunter type show coat, and an approved USHJA helmet, please see “Recommended Attire” as to the exact requirements.
- Due to the Corona Virus, the IEA is getting started earlier this year. Please be prepared to try and get our shows in early so that we will hopefully not to effected by restrictions on being indoors. They also may have us just show within our region so we may have more local type shows available. I would plan on one away show just in case.
- This year, we will also plan to have a show at Kolowa Equestrian. I am planning on hopefully a Mid September Date. I would love to get together a small group of parents/kids that would be interested in helping me pull this all together!
- For Competitions: Horses will be provided by the host school district. Riders will draw a name out of a hat, for which, they will be competing on in their division for that day.
- Parents will be responsible for any costs associated with the horse show entry fees for their child, as well as, any travel expenses occurred by their family while traveling to competitions.
- Entry fees per show are $40/class or $80 for each show and must be paid before the student will be eligible to compete.
- The team members will be responsible for splitting the cost of the trainer’s travel expenses.
- Competing team members will be accountable for showing up to competitions with their boots clean and shiny, breeches clean, jacket and show shirt clean, and helmet clean for every competition.
- Members must show in a Minimum of two competitions and a Maximum of 5 competitions, per IEA, through the post season in order for their points to count towards Regional finals, Zone finals, or National Finals. As an estimate, each show will cost roughly between $200 and $300.
Recommended Competition Attire
- It is very important to look your very best at these competitions. Clean freshly polished field boots will be required at every competition, as well as, a clean and pressed show shirt and jacket. Black gloves, tan hunter breeches, a belt, and a USHJA approved black velvet type helmet will be required. No plastic black helmets will be considered acceptable.
- Breeches: Taylored Sportsman, Ariat, and Treadstep Brands. Side Zip is preferred. Tan Hunter Type Breeches with only patch on inside of knee, no full seat, are required. A Black Belt will also be required.
- Boots: Ariat or Treadstep Type Brands. Boots need to be leather, not plastic; form fitting around calf, length should come to top of knee at side, middle of back of knee, and bottom of front of knee.
- Hunt Coats: Navy Blue or Black is required. Pin stripes look nice as well. Form Fitting around waist and sleeves to wrist length.
- Show Shirts: White Long Sleeved Hunter Type show shirt will be required. Please be sure shirt length is appropriate as show shirts will be tucked into breeches.
- Helmets: USHJA Approved Helmets are required. Recommended Brands: Charles Owen, GPA, Samshield, One K, or IRH. Please no plastic Troxels or Ovation Helmets for showing.
- Hair Nets: Hair will be required to be pulled back over the ears and tucked under helmet with an Equestrian Hair net matching rider’s hair color. We will hold a pre-show dress rehearsal to be sure everyone is aware of correct hair styling method.
- Gloves: Black Leather Equestrian Riding Gloves will be required at every show.
Important Links for Memberships
Team Practices and Special Events
- Team Practices will be limited to a group of 3 –6 riders, skill specific, and ranging from either an hour to two hour session as needed.4-6 practices will be offered each month and will be set up at the start of the season and will be the member’s responsibility to make it to 2 practices. These practices will have a limit of participants due to horse constraints so be sure to sign up immediately. If a member is unable to make it to 2 of the 4 practices no make-up will be offered. If unforeseen circumstances prevent a scheduled practice, a makeup practice will be scheduled at some point through the season if at all possible.
- A calendar of events for the 2020/2021 season for the practices and competitions will be given out by Sign up Deadline on August 1st.
- Members are required to attend a minimum of 1 practice per month to be eligible to compete with the team.
- Members are strongly encouraged to take a weekly riding lesson throughout the season, either at Kolowa Equestrian Center or their usual farm.
- Special Events, Meetings, and Fund Raisers will be scheduled throughout the season as well. Please be sure to check your emails often to see when these events will be taking place.
- Members will be required to wear proper schooling attire for each practice. Breeches and either boots or half chaps will need to be worn in order to practice successfully. We will also be requiring hair to be up in a hair net for each practice!
- If you miss a team practice it will be up to the discretion of the coach if it will be rescheduled. If we are forced to cancel due to weather, it will be up to the coach’s discretion as to when and if those practices will be rescheduled.
Team Captain’s: We will be nominating, by vote, a Team Captain from the High School Team, as well as, a Team Co-Captain from the Middle School Team again this year. This year both captains will be required to post updates from each show, as well as, put together a team bonding outing. A team fundraising opportunity will also be encouraged. If you do not wish to participate as a possible captain, please be sure to let me know.
Central Indiana Equestrian Team – 2021 – 2022 Show Schedule
- 2nd – 3rd Kolowa IEA Schooling Show
Individual rider points per class are as follows:
|7 Points||1st Place|
|5 Points||2nd Place|
|4 Points||3rd Place|
|3 Points||4th Place|
|2 Points||5th Place|
|1 Point||6th Place|
Rider Post Season Qualification
To qualify for post season competition, a rider must accumulate at least 18 points in either jumping or flat classes. Riders qualify separately for flat and jumping classes, needing 18 points in both to qualify for both flat and jumping post season competition. Example, 18 points in flat competition and 10 points in jumping competition during the regular season would only qualify the rider for the first round of post season (Regionals) in flat competition. Achieving a 1st or 2nd place at Regionals would qualify the rider for the next round of post season (Zones) and so on.
Team points (i.e. Middle School Team / High School Team) are also accumulated at each show as follows:
|4 Points||3rd Place|
|3 Points||4th Place|
|2 Points||5th Place|
|1 Point||6th Place|
Team Post Season Qualification
To qualify as a team to compete in post season shows, a minimum of 20 team points for the show season are required. At each show, a team point rider is designated per division and the cumulative points that rider scores in both classes (jumping/flat) are used to determine overall team placings.