Home of the Central Indiana Equestrian Team
We are an Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA), Hunt Seat Equitation, recognized team in Zone 5 and are now located at Kolowa Equestrian in Atlanta, IN. We welcome both middle school and high school riders of all levels to join our team. See below for Important Team dates coming up!
- Grades 6-12 will be eligible to compete with the team. However, in order to compete with the team, the rider must have at least one year riding experience or be able to confidently Walk, Trot, and Canter comfortably on a foreign horse. Eligibility for riders to compete will be at the sole discretion of the teams Coach. New riders in any grade are encouraged to join the team as “junior members” in order to gain the knowledge required to compete in following seasons. Junior members will be included in all team meetings, competitions, and learning experiences.
- In order to compete: Participants must have access to field boots, tan hunter type breeches, a hunter type show shirt, a hunter type show coat, and an approved USHJA helmet, please see “Recommended Attire” as to the exact requirements.
- The IEA is new to Indiana so competitions will be a bit of a distance from our location at this time. We will need to be an organized team. The arrangement of car pools etc. will be appreciated in order to keep travel costs down to go to these competitions.
- For Competitions: Horses will be provided by the host school district. Riders will draw a name out of a hat, for which, they will be competing on in their division for that day.
- Parents will be responsiblefor any costs associated with the horse show entry fees for their child, as well as, any travel expenses occurred by their family while traveling to competitions.
- The team members will be responsible for splitting the cost of the trainer’s fees and/or any additional help needed, and subsequent travel expenses.
- Competing team members will be accountable for showing up to competitions with their boots clean and shiny, breeches clean, jacket and show shirt clean, and helmet clean for every competition.
- Members must show in a Minimum of two competitionsand a Maximum of 5 competitions, per IEA, through the post season in order for their points to count towards Regional finals, Zone finals, or National Finals. As an estimate, each show will cost roughly between $200 and $300.
Recommended Competition Attire
- It is very important to look your very best at these competitions. Clean freshly polished field bootswill be required at every competition, as well as, a clean and pressed show shirt and jacket. Black gloves, tan hunter breeches, a belt, and a USHJA approved black velvet type helmet will be required. No plastic black helmets will be considered acceptable.
- Breeches:Taylored Sportsman, Ariat, and Treadstep Brands. Side Zip is preferred. Tan Hunter Type Breeches with only patch on inside of knee, no full seat, are required. A Belt will also be required.
- Boots:Ariat or Treadstep Type Brands. Boots need to be leather, not plastic; form fitting around calf, length should come to top of knee at side, middle of back of knee, and bottom of front of knee.
- Hunt Coats:Navy Blue or Black is required. Pin stripes look nice as well. Form Fitting around waist and sleeves to wrist length.
- Show Shirts:White Long Sleeved Hunter Type show shirt will be required. Please be sure shirt length is appropriate as show shirts will be tucked into breeches.
- Helmets:USHJA Approved Helmets are required. Recommended Brands: Charles Owen, GPA, Samshield, One K, or IRH. Please no plastic Troxels or Ovation Helmets for showing.
- Hair Nets: Hair will be required to be pulled back over the ears and tucked under helmet with an Equestrian Hair net matching rider’s hair color. We will hold a pre-show dress rehearsal to be sure everyone is aware of correct hair styling method.
- Gloves:Black Leather Equestrian Riding Gloves will be required at every show.
Team Practices and Special Events
- Team Practices will be limited to a group of 3 –6 riders, skill specific, and ranging from either an hour to two hour session as needed. These practices will be set up on either a scheduled Monday or Wednesday for the duration of the season. Members of the team will be assigned to their specific practice times by August 1st.
- A calendar of events for the 2018/2019 season for the practices and competitions will be given out by Sign up Deadline on August 7th.
- Members are required to attend a minimum of 2 practices per month to be eligible to compete with the team.
- Special Events, Meetings, and Fund Raisers will be scheduled throughout the season as well. Please be sure to check your emails often to see when these events will be taking place.
- Members will be required to wear proper schooling attire for each practice. Breeches and either boots or half chaps will need to be worn in order to practice successfully.
- If you decide to miss a team practice it will not be a rescheduled. A list of dates that practices will not be held and their designated make up times will be given out with the season calendar. If we are forced to cancel due to weather, it will be up to the coach’s discretion as to when and if those practices will be rescheduled.
- October 12 & 13 – Sierra Woods, Zionsville, IN
- October 26 & 27 – Cliffwood, Richmond, IL
- November 9 & 10 – Cliffwood, Richmond, IL
- November 26 & 27 – Cedar Lodge, Lawrence, MI
- Other show dates forthcoming
Cost and Sign Up Information
- Cost to join the Central Indiana Equestrian Team will be $1700 for the 2018/2019 season. This fee will cover the weekly practices only. Showing and Competition expenses will be separate. Payment for the season of $1700 will be due by the sign up deadline of August 7th, or you may also choose to split it into 2 separate payments. Payment number 1 of $850 will be due by August 7thand Payment 2 being due by November 1st. Payment must be made before a participant will be eligible to begin practicing with the team.
- Members will also be responsible for the initial $60 signup fee in order to be considered an IEA member or junior member of the Central Indiana Equestrian Team.
- Members will be required to be an active member of the USEF as a Junior Competing Member. Membership cost for the USEF is $70 for a year membership.
DOWNLOAD / PRINT: Team Rider Information Form (pdf)