Home of the Central Indiana Equestrian Team
The Central Indiana Equestrian Team is an Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA), Hunt Seat Equitation, recognized team in Zone 5 and is now located at Kolowa Equestrian in Atlanta, IN. We welcome both middle school and high school riders of all levels to join our team. See below for Important Team dates coming up!
- Grades 4-12 will be eligible to compete with the team. However, in order to compete with the team, the rider must have at least one year riding experience or be able to confidently Walk, Trot, and Canter comfortably on a foreign horse. Eligibility for riders to compete will be at the sole discretion of the teams Coach. New riders in any grade are encouraged to join the team as “junior members” in order to gain the knowledge required to compete in following seasons. Junior members will be included in all team meetings, competitions, and learning experiences.
- In order to compete: Participants must have access to field boots, tan hunter type breeches, a hunter type show shirt, a hunter type show coat, and an approved USHJA helmet, please see “Recommended Attire” as to the exact requirements.
- The IEA is new to Indiana so competitions will be a bit of a distance from our location at this time. We will need to be an organized team. The arrangement of car pools etc. will be appreciated in order to keep travel costs down to go to these competitions. Please be prepared to travel to at least one weekend out of state.
- For Competitions: Horses will be provided by the host school district. Riders will draw a name out of a hat, for which, they will be competing on in their division for that day.
- Parents will be responsible for any costs associated with the horse show entry fees for their child, as well as, any travel expenses occurred by their family while traveling to competitions.
- Entry fees per show day are $40/class or $80 for each show day (2 classes) and must be paid before the student will be eligible to compete.
- The team members will be responsible for splitting the cost of the trainer’s travel expenses.
- Members must show in a Minimum of two competition days and a Maximum of 5 competition days, per IEA, through the post season in order for their points to count towards Regional finals, Zone finals, or National Finals. As an estimate, each show will cost roughly between $200 and $300.
Recommended Competition Attire
- It is very important to look your very best at these competitions. Clean freshly polished field boots will be required at every competition, as well as, a clean and pressed show shirt and jacket. Black gloves, tan hunter breeches, a belt, and a USHJA approved black velvet type helmet will be required. No plastic black helmets will be considered acceptable.
- Breeches: Taylored Sportsman, Ariat, and Treadstep Brands. Side Zip is preferred. Tan Hunter Type Breeches with only patch on inside of knee, no full seat, are required. A Black Belt will also be required.
- Boots: Ariat or Treadstep Type Brands. Boots need to be leather, not plastic; form fitting around calf, length should come to top of knee at side, middle of back of knee, and bottom of front of knee.
- Hunt Coats: Navy Blue or Black is required. Pin stripes look nice as well. Form Fitting around waist and sleeves to wrist length.
- Show Shirts: White Long Sleeved Hunter Type show shirt will be required. Please be sure shirt length is appropriate as show shirts will be tucked into breeches.
- Helmets: USHJA Approved Helmets are required. Recommended Brands: Charles Owen, GPA, Samshield, One K, or IRH. Please no plastic Troxels or Ovation Helmets for showing.
- Hair Nets: Hair will be required to be pulled back over the ears and tucked under helmet with an Equestrian Hair net matching rider’s hair color. We will hold a pre-show dress rehearsal to be sure everyone is aware of correct hair styling method.
- Gloves: Black Leather Equestrian Riding Gloves will be required at every show.
Team Practices and Special Events
- Team Practices will be limited to a group of 3 –6 riders, skill specific, and ranging from either an hour to two hour session as needed. 4 practices will be offered each month and will be set up at the start of the season and will be the member’s responsibility to make it to 2 practices. These practices will have a limit of participants due to horse constraints so be sure to sign up immediately. If a member is unable to make it to 2 of the 4 practices no make-up will be offered. If unforeseen circumstances prevent a scheduled practice, a makeup practice will be scheduled at some point through the season if at all possible.
- A calendar of events for the 2019/2020 season for the practices and competitions will be given out by Sign up Deadline on August 7th.
- Members are required to attend a minimum of 1 practice per month to be eligible to compete with the team.
- Members are strongly encouraged to take a weekly riding lesson throughout the season, either at Kolowa Equestrian Center or their usual farm.
- Special Events, Meetings, and Fund Raisers will be scheduled throughout the season as well. Please be sure to check your emails often to see when these events will be taking place.
- Members will be required to wear proper schooling attire for each practice. Breeches and either boots or half chaps will need to be worn in order to practice successfully. We will also be requiring hair to be up in a hair net for each practice!
- If you miss a team practice it will be up to the discretion of the coach if it will be rescheduled. If we are forced to cancel due to weather, it will be up to the coach’s discretion as to when and if those practices will be rescheduled.
- THURSDAY 16TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- FRIDAY 17TH 5:00, 6:00
- SATURDAY 18TH 2:00, 3:00, 4:00
- THURSDAY 23RD 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- SATURDAY 25TH 2:00, 3:00, 4:00
- THURSDAY 30TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- THURSDAY 6TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- FRIDAY 7TH 5:00, 6:00
- THURSDAY 13TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- FRIDAY 14TH 5:00, 6:00
- SATURDAY 15TH 2:00, 3:00, 4:00
- THURSDAY 27TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- FRIDAY 28TH 5:00, 6:00
- SATURDAY 29TH 2:00, 3:00, 4:00
- THURSDAY 5TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- THURSDAY 12TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- FRIDAY 13TH 5:00, 6:00
- SATURDAY 14TH 2:00, 3:00, 4:00
- THURSDAY 19TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- THURSDAY 26TH 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30
- FRIDAY 27TH 5:00, 6:00
- SATURDAY 28TH **LAST IEA PRACTICE!** 2:00, 3:00, 4:00
Central Indiana Equestrian Team – Show Schedule
- 11-12 IEA – Bloomington Crimson Stables *Cohosting*
- 18th IEA – Cliffwood Richmond, IL
- 25-26 IEA – Camelot Oswego, IL
Individual rider points per class are as follows:
|7 Points||1st Place|
|5 Points||2nd Place|
|4 Points||3rd Place|
|3 Points||4th Place|
|2 Points||5th Place|
|1 Point||6th Place|
Rider Post Season Qualification
To qualify for post season competition, a rider must accumulate at least 18 points in either jumping or flat classes. Riders qualify separately for flat and jumping classes, needing 18 points in both to qualify for both flat and jumping post season competition. Example, 18 points in flat competition and 10 points in jumping competition during the regular season would only qualify the rider for the first round of post season (Regionals) in flat competition. Achieving a 1st or 2nd place at Regionals would qualify the rider for the next round of post season (Zones) and so on.
Team points (i.e. Middle School Team / High School Team) are also accumulated at each show as follows:
|4 Points||3rd Place|
|3 Points||4th Place|
|2 Points||5th Place|
|1 Point||6th Place|
Team Post Season Qualification
To qualify as a team to compete in post season shows, a minimum of 20 team points for the show season are required. At each show, a team point rider is designated per division and the cumulative points that rider scores in both classes (jumping/flat) are used to determine overall team placings.
Cost and Signup Information
Cost to join the Central Indiana Equestrian Team will be $1100.00 for the 2019/2020 season. This fee will cover 2 practices each month throughout the entire season August 1st – March 31st or 16 practices total. These practices will be scheduled ahead of time. This cost will also cover the trainer fee at all 3 out of 5 pre-season shows and the team sign up costs!! Payment for the season of $1100.00 will be due by the start of the season August 1st, or you may also choose to split it into 2 separate payments. Payment number 1 of $550 will be due by August 1st and Payment 2 of $550 being due by November 1st. Payment must be made before a participant will be eligible to begin practicing with the team.
This cost does not include any trainer travel expenses, horse show entry fees, or trainer fee at semifinals, zone finals or national finals. Please be prepared to go all the way to National Finals!!
Members will also be responsible for the initial $60 signup fee, with the IEA, in order to be considered an IEA member or junior member of the Central Indiana Equestrian Team. Members will be receiving a free fan membership with the USEF with the membership to the IEA.
DOWNLOAD / PRINT: Team Rider Information Form (pdf)